Pages

Friday, April 1, 2011

Homemade Bread



Homemade bread. Yum. I made two loaves today and I froze one. My mom gave me the idea of making two a week and freezing one each time. She also gave me a really awesome bread recipe. Oh my goodness it is the most soft and scrumptious bread I have ever tasted. Gregg said...and I quote..."This is the best bread I have ever had in my entire life". Here is my mom's recipe.

No Knead Bread
6 1/2 cups flour ( 3 1/2 at first then 3 later )
2 packets instant yeast
3 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon salt
3 cups warm water
2 tablespoons shortening
butter

In your kitchen aid mixer combine 3 1/2 cups flour
yeast, sugar, and salt. Mix well using regular mixer hookie thing.
Add warm water ( 125 or so ,microwave for 1 minute and feel i, then microwave 30 seconds longer if needed.. put your finger in,it should feel like a very warm shower would but not burn at all)
Add shortening at same time as warm water.
Blend at low speed until moistened. Beat 3 minutes at medium speed . Now put your dough hook on.
Add additional flour 1 cup at at time until you have added all 3. I added a little more probably another 1/2 cup.
Now mix until all is well blended.
Remove bowl from mixer. Place on your stove and put a towel over it.
In about 30 minutes it should have risen as tall as the bowl. Beat it down with your fist and using dough hook again mix for about 1 minute.
Now spray your 2 bread pans with Pam or cooking spray.
Take half the bread mixture and put it in each pan. It will be sitcky just pry it from your hands.
Preheat your oven to 375 and put your pans on top covered with towel.
When bread has risen to the height of the pans, bake at 375 for approx. 30 - 35 minutes until it is golden brown.
Remove from pans and brush with butter.
Allow to cool on a rack if you have one.
Wait until about 15 minutes to slice. Allow to cool for a couple of hours before you put one in freezer. Place one in gallon baggie and freeze it. Yummy for your tummy.You will never look at bread the same again.

1 comment:

  1. I have not bought a loaf of bread in weeks because of this recipe. I love fresh over store bought.

    ReplyDelete