Friday, May 22, 2009

Your world frightens and confuses me...

Okay...SO we arrived in London yesterday morning. I sort of despise this new strange land but let me start from the beginning. First, let me just say that the airport was extremely boring looking. Its white bright walls, no nice colors or pictures of any sort...just WHITE and dirty looking. So as you can see, I didn't have a great first impression. After getting our luggage, we proceeded to wander around for 15 minutes trying to find a phone to call the base and get transportation to our new home. We were informed that the next bus to Mildenhall would not be there for another 3 hours, and if you were me in that white, boring airport, would you have waited? Nope. So we went to get a taxi thinking it couldn't cost much...and we were wrong. After wandering around outside wondering if we should wave our hands in the air like they do in movies yelling "taxi", we decided to go up to one and knock on the window. After being assured that he was the cheapest taxi ride around, we got in and asked how much he charged to go to Mildenhall AFB. Can you believe that I was not even really shocked when he said 274 pounds which is close to 600 dollars?! I was so relieved that someone finally knew where we were going that I didn't even question the money. After we made it to the base, we had to take another taxi to an on base hotel and check in. Apparently no one knew we were coming because they didn't have any rooms ready when we got there so we ended up waiting for a while in the lobby. The lady who was the manager of the hotel looked at me as if she felt pity for me and asked if I wanted a cup of coffee. I thought that she was just being nice and since they are tea and coffee people here I figured there was no particular reason for the offer. Once back in our room, I looked in the mirror and realized that she offered me the coffee out of pure concern for my health. I looked awful. I felt like I hadn't slept in eight years. Now from the very beginning of our journey, starting at the airport, I felt like I was going to have a mental breakdown. I just wanted to cry really hard and tap my feet together and go back home. Once we made it to the room, I fell apart crying and asked him if there was any way we could ask to go home. He told me no and I continued to cry until he told me to go and get a phone card to call home. I sniffled some more, wiped my tears and hurried to get the phone card. Once I called my mom I felt better because she told me once she moved to Denver, CO and freaked out also. I felt better. Now I knew that my freaking out was completely normal. I feel a little differently today but yesterday as you have heard, I absolutely hated it here. I wanted my old surroundings where everything was normal. I want normal still but I am coming to grips with the fact that I can't leave. I tried to escape last night but Gregg (my husband and the reason I had to come to this dreadful place) caught me...jk. I also found out today that he is on days and he is in a certain work field now where he shouldn't deploy. Well I will post again tomorrow and let you know how our house hunting goes.
P.S. I think a major reason why I feel better is because my mom suggested that I buy some shoes to make myself feel more at home. I agree. I should.


  1. I miss you both terribly. Hmmmm maybe I need some shoes too.
    Take care of each other.

  2. Heidi, You are going to have the time of your life. You and Gregg and little Daniel or Danielina are in for a good time. - Dad